- Analytical technique and systemized group of activities.
- Means to assure that potential failure modes and their associated cause and mechanism, have been addressed through earlier detection of types of failure modes, failure causes and their effects.
- A tool for design and process engineers.
- An interactive and never ending process.
- Technique of reducing risk or avoiding risk.
- A living document.
- “Before-the-event” action NOT an “After-the-fact“ exercise.
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis
|Design FMEA||Process FMEA|
Production in compliance with drawing
Design and development
Avoiding design failures
Avoiding failures during process planning, production implementation
|Timing for commencement|
Before or at design concept finalization
Before or at feasibility stage or prior to tooling for production
|Period of review|
Prior to the first trial run
Prior to any investment
|FMEA first completion|
Prior to production drawing release for tooling
Prior to bulk production
- Identifies potential problems with customer point of view.
- Predictive & Preventive. (A Pro-active Approach).
- Prioritizes the variables to be focused.
- Can be used in conjunction with APQP Process.