5S is a philosophy, a way of life that one practices all the time every day. It involves everyone in the organisation.
5S is considered as the Foundation of Improvement Activities and its purpose is to involve the workforce in creating a safe, hygienic, satisfying and pleasant work environment.
The 5S pillars are Sort (Seiri), Set in Order (Seiton), Shine (Seiso), Standardize (Seiketsu), and Sustain (Shitsuke).
- Segregate and Red Tag all unwanted, rework-able and obsolete items.
- Dispose off the unwanted items.
- Keep the bare essentials and clear of the walkways.
- Identify abnormal occurrences.
Seiton (Set in Order)
- Mark appropriate location and quantity for each item.
- Use signboards, labels, colours codes for easy identification.
- Use index for files, records, drawings etc. to facilitate retrievability.
- Plan storage and accessibility.
- Clean and inspect defined areas, workplace, machines and other items.
- Identify abnormal situations like noise, heat, vibration etc.
- Take remedial action to prevent re-occurrence.
- Establish standards.
- Develop visual controls to expose abnormality.
- Integrate with daily work management.
- Prevent deterioration using 5W & 1H strategy.
- Create an environment through slogans, posters and other visuals.
- Set an example, from a habit.
- Conduct audits to evaluate approach and results.
- Recognise 5S achievements.
Benefits of the 5S System
- High degree of involvement of large number of employees across all levels.
- Creating a culture for continuous improvement.
- Developing clean, hygienic and safe workplace.
- Reducing waste of all types.